Is your hair freaking out?
From my first experience with making and using shampoo bars, I encountered what is commonly referred to online as the adjustment period. When you make the switch to natural products, your hair may fall anywhere on the spectrum between too dry, waxy, and too oily. The adjustment can take up to a month, but we have a few tricks that help accelerate this annoying period of time.
My hair has been my personal science experiment, testing all the natural remedies for great hair! I was so surprised to find that your hair seems to go into shock when switching from “regular shampoo”. If you think about it, your hair has been accustomed to countless chemicals and toxins that have built up in your scalp and hair. Switching to all natural shampoo bars that contain oils and butters, absorb and lock all of your hair’s natural moisture that is probably contaminated with the residue of chemicals!
Now to the point…
Here are some great tips to get through this adjustment period that is well worth it! Don’t get discouraged if your first try isn’t a success, everyone’s hair is different. If you are lucky, you won’t even know there is an adjustment period!
Shampoo Bar Adjustment Period Tips:
- Rinse your hair out thoroughly, every time you wash your hair. Also, try not to rub the shampoo into your scalp, better flip your hair upside down and rub the strands together. This will spread the oils and not let it build up and sit on your scalp.
- Brush your hair out with a wide toothcomb in the shower, with shampoo and after when rinsing out.
- Rinse your hair with apple cider vinegar (ACV) and water. It is not the most pleasant smell but the smell won’t stay in your hair and you can always add essential oils. ACV helps remove product build-up and clumpy residue, also leaving the hair smooth and shiny.
- A detox clay mask for the hair made with ACV and Bentonite clay, really helped! Just leave it in wet hair for about 10 to 15 minutes and rinse. This masks help strip your hair from toxic build up and over moisture. After this your hair should be ready for natural shampoo bars. You contact us below for a free sample!
- Massaging your scalp with just baking soda. Yes this will feel a little funny but just literally wash your hair as you would with shampoo. Baking soda is a great and fast way to clean your hair and scalp. You can follow with an ACV rinse, but that is optional.
These are just a few really helpful tips to get through the all-natural adjustment period. Although, it is frustrating to feel like you have ruined your hair, it is well worth it. The amount of chemicals and toxins that are in daily hair and body care is scary and dangerous. Make the organic shift and keep your nest as pure as you can! If you have any other home remedies please feel free to comment below!